- 10 wholes sardines, gutted
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
For the chermoula sauce
- 1 large bunch of coriander
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Rind of one large lemon
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 100mL of extra virgin olive oil
- Blend all ingredients for the chermoula sauce in a food processor. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Once blended, set aside.
- Pre -heat BBQ. Coat sardines with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Skewer each fish and make a few scores in the flesh, ensuring you don’t cut all the way through
- Cook the sardines over the hot BBQ grill until cooked through and moderately charred. Drizzle over the chermoula sauce and serve