Beet and Cabbage Sauerkraut
- 2 cups of finely sliced, cabbage
- 5 cups of grated-beet
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- Place cabbage and beets in a bowl and massage with 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to rest for 2 hours, until cabbage has wilted and released some water.
- Place the mixture and all the juices in a clean mason jar and ensure to pack it down with the end of a wooden spoon. Cover with a cabbage leaf and pack it down further. Make sure the brine covers the cabbage leaf to prevent mould formation. Cover with a lid and ensure it is left slightly open, to ensure the mixture can breathe.
- Let sit on counter for 24 hours and occasionally press down on cabbage. If after 24 hours, there isn’t enough liquid to cover the mixture, mix 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of water and only add enough of the brine to ensure the mixture is covered.
- Leave on counter for 3-4 days, occasionally pressing down. There will be a pungent smell, this is quite normal.
- Close the lid properly and place jar in fridge. Allow to chill over night and then consume.