Weight loss can be tricky if your food is not addressed. Cravings, strong appetite and portion sizes can significantly impact the success of your weight loss journey. Protein is a great source of nutrients, strength and energy and as such, becomes a great friend during weight loss or dietary control. Protein is not only indispensable for growth and maintenance of every cell within the body, but it is also key for increasing metabolism, controlling appetite, supporting the nervous system and boosting the immune system (1-3).
Protein is great option for snacks and a necessity for meals.
Not sure what a protein is? Or unsure about what your snacking options are? See our 12 great protein rich snacks below.
- Boiled eggs
- Chicken drumstick (skin off)
- Peanut butter on celery sticks
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil etc.)
- Smoothie drinks
- Cold-sliced, home cooked meat
- Low fat cheese
- Low sugar yoghurt
- Tofu chunks
- Mollahosseini M, Shab-Bidar S, Rahimi MH, Djafarian K. Effect of whey protein supplementation on long and short term appetite: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clinical nutrition ESPEN. 2017;20:34-40.
- Chungchunlam SM, Henare SJ, Ganesh S, Moughan PJ. Effect of whey protein and glycomacropeptide on measures of satiety in normal-weight adult women. Appetite. 2014;78:172-8.
- Pal S, Radavelli-Bagatini S, Hagger M, Ellis V. Comparative effects of whey and casein proteins on satiety in overweight and obese individuals: a randomized controlled trial. European journal of clinical nutrition. 2014;68(9):980-6.