Spinach filled, homely, tasty and healthy – what more could you want? Add this recipe to your weekly planner.
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
4cm cubed piece of ginger, peeled and finely diced
2 green chilli, sliced
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
750g lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 3cm chunks
2 tsp coriander ground seeds
2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
2 cardamom pods, squashed
4 large tomatoes, quartered
500ml lamb stock
200g spinach, roughly chopped
1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
Jasmine rice and/or naan bread, cooked as directed on package
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in a large pan. In two batches, brown the lamb on all sides. Place on a plate to rest and put to one side.
- Add the remaining oil in the pan and fry the spices for 2 minutes, adding a splash of water if they start to stick. Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and onion and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the lamb, tomatoes and stock. Stir, cover and cook for 45mins.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for another 45 minutes, or until the lamb is tender. If the sauce is looking thin, take the lid off for the last 20 minutes of cooking to reduce the sauce.
- Mix through ¾ of the coriander, using the last ¼ to garnish.
- Serve with rice and naan bread, as desired