This dish is a complete meal. If you wish to add some carbohydrate, serve with Basmati rice. Alternatively, my choice is to add additional protein. (4 servings)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, ground in a mortar
- 1 medium size eggplant, cut in wedges
- 2 small apples, cut in small dices
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock – (no preservative or additives, where possible)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (1 2/3 cup / 400 ml) coconut milk
- 3 cups (300 g) broccoli, cut in florets
375g can organic chickpeas, washed and drained
300g organic firm tofu, broken into 2.5cm cubes- see “Tips”
1-2 tsp Himalayan salt
Serve with: A handful fresh basil and fresh coriander/cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute, then add all 6 spices, lower the heat a bit and stir constantly to ensure they do not burn.
- Add the eggplant wedges. Make sure all wedges get soaked in the spicy oil.
- Then add the apple and fry everything for a few minutes.
- Add stock and apple cider vinegar, cover with a lid and let cook for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice.
- Add coconut milk, broccoli and salt to the curry and let simmer for about 10 minutes more.
- Stir in a generous handful of fresh basil and coriander.
- Serve with basmati rice on the side.
Tofu – One of the biggest comments I hear about tofu is, “it has no flavour”. This tip was given to me by a friend who said her Chinese mum does this regularly. I tried it and now I’m a convert. Initially, freeze the tofu, then defrost and squeeze out the excess water. This will make the tofu stiff, yet when added to a sauce, it soaks up the flavours.
Poached Chicken – I choose to use a steamer with vegetable stock in the bottom instead of water. Place some fresh basil and lemongrass on top of the chicken and steam for about 8 minutes or until cooked. This is a fantastic way to prepare chicken for either hot or allow it to cool and serve it later. Any aromatic herbs will infuse flavour as will spices – your choice.
Basmatic Rice – A serving size is ½ cup of cooked rice.