- 1 whole chicken (for stock and soup)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 celery ribs, rinsed, trimmed, leaves removed and quartered
- 1 small fennel bulb, stalks removed, then quartered
- ½ garlic bulb, halved widthways
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 1 handful of fresh continental parsley and stalks
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, roughly diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 1/3rd cup dried risoni pasta
- 1 handful of fresh continental parsley to serve
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to serve, along with salt and pepper to taste
- Place whole chicken, carrots, celery, fennel bulb and garlic bulb in a large stock pot, over medium heat
- Top with just enough cold water to cover the chicken.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, and parsley
- Allow ingredients to come to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour, partially covered.
- Remove the chicken, place on a cutting board and allow to cool. Once cooled, discard the skin and bones, and shred the meat with a fork. Set aside.
- Strain the stock through a sieve, into a large bowl to remove the vegetables and aromatics and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and sauté until the onion is translucent but not browned.
- Lower the heat to low, add the stock with the shredded chicken and the risoni.
- Add a handful of roughly chopped thyme and basil
- Simmer until the risoni is cooked, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir through cheese and finely chopped parsley.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy.