Where did this year go? I cannot believe it’s almost the holiday season – it seems to have crept up on us rather quickly.
This time of year can be really tricky for many – particularly if you have worked really hard during these past few months to develop new lifestyle habits and have finally started taking care of your health.
According to Nutrition Australia – on average Australians gain up to 1.5kgs over the holiday season. This may not sound like much however it is usually gained around the trunk, which commonly is associated with increased risk of heart disease and diabetes. (1,2)
It’s unrealistic sometimes to expect to lose weight over the holiday season but certainly maintaining weight whilst still enjoying yourself is achievable.
A number of you have either successfully completed or are in the middle of our 6 -week weight loss program here at the Australian Menopause Centre.
Bravo to those of you who have just completed it, reached your goals and now have the tools to enjoy the holiday season with a new mindset.
Bravo too; to those of you who have decided to soldier through the holiday season with strategies and tools to make sure you still enjoy yourself but don’t put on those extra kilos!
It’s important to remember that this program is not a quick fix it’s a lifestyle change and a mindset. It’s about educating and supporting you to make the right choices when you are out and about, it’s about helping you be mindful and bringing awareness to your food, your choices and your habits. It’s also about you nourishing your body and not feeling deprived.
Many of you who have completed the program have described with surprise how much you enjoyed and learnt so much about nourishing your body. There are so many different programs out there and it’s important to choose one that takes YOU into account and fits in with YOUR life.
Here are a few simple strategies to help you get through the party season and maintain the weight you have worked so hard for.
- Be mindful – slow down and savour the time you have with family and friends, practice mindful eating, enjoy each bite.
- Have a healthy snack BEFORE you go out for a big party dinner.
- Offer to bring a plate or two – making sure that there will be some healthy options for you to choose from.
- Remember portion control and pacing yourself.
- When it comes to alcohol – drink a glass of sparkling or still water with lime in between each alcoholic drink.
- Use a wine glass for your sparkling water and fresh lime.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you over indulge – just go easy the next day, have lots of soups, broths, salads and water.
- Be prepared – spend time planning, shopping and making sure there are healthy choices available at home.
- Remember stick to the basic principles 80 % of the time: eat whole food, lots of fresh vegetables, fruit, good quality protein, good fats, drink at least 2L of filtered water every day.
- Don’t forget to exercise! Even if it means going for a walk after a big Christmas meal.
If you would like to kick-start 2020 by making lifestyle choices that are in line with your health. Make your New Year’s resolution NOW and book in to start your 6-week weight loss and healthy lifestyle choice program.
If you book before 23rd December to start in January – you will receive a 10% discount on the entire program. This is a great way to ensure that your new year’s resolution comes to fruition.
Stay safe, celebrate life, health and wellness in 2020.
- Hull H et al. The effect of the holiday season on body weight and composition in college students. Nutr Metab. 2006;3(44)
- http://www.nutritionaustralia. org